Compiled by: Waldis Jirgens. Last update December 8, 2014.
My PC was rescued from the scrap heap (Windows XP didn't like it any more):
. Dual CPU 3 GHz speed, 1.5 GB RAM,
111 GB HDD (SATA). I installed Mandriva 2010.1, upgrading it over
time to Mageia 4.1. I also added a 232 GB PATA disk and installed
Blag (Spartakus) on it.
A wealth of documentation in various formats is in /usr/share/doc
and the various subdirectories thereof.
Upgrade to Mageia 4.1:
This proved to be more frustrating than I thought. As such the upgrade seemed to be a simple process - Boot the Mageia 4,1 net-instal CD and do an Upgrade to the existing system. As with a previous upgrade the process was initiated and after several hours the Mageia 4.1 system tied itself into a knot and left the system in an unusable state
. The /home partition was untouched.
Therefore I did a fresh install of Mageia 4.1 on the existing partitions.
This took only a few hours.
Problems in the process:
- Bash had been updated to fix the Shellshock vulnerability, but in the process several idiosyncrasies were
introduced, forcing me to use the "dash" shell. This in itself posed problems with adding libraries to the PATH variable, which should be straight forward when using the autostart application for the various window managers.
- I discontinued the use of Vsftpd and installed pure-ftpd instead.
- Shorewall needed to be configured to allow local traffic through. This link should show how to do it. But obviously my configuration (1 interface 2 zones) is so "outlandish", that even after configuring it strictly "by the book" no LAN traffic got through. Since my router has a built-in firewall itself, I de-installed shorewall and after re-boot all was well.
- I retired my old Canon iP1300 printer since I could not make it work again. Bought an Epson XP-200
that installed Ok with the rpm epson-inkjet-printer-escpr-1.4.3-1lsb3.2.i486.rpm
- downloaded from the Epson website. Details on the: Open
Printing Website. The address of the printer is usb://EPSON/XP200%20Series?serial=514A444B3038303510&interface=1
(autodetected by the printer config gui).
Here is CUPS and printer configuration explained in detail
More about CUPS and its commands.
- A huge problem were long delays - many minutes - when logging in with windowmanagers. Not only that, the su command sometimes timed out before requesting the root password - besides many other inanities. The remedy seemed to be to use the old kernel 3.12.13-desktop-2.mga4 as on my AR PC and de-install the offending 3.14.18-4 kernel, thereby expunging any associated files. This seemed to work until the above effect re-appeared unexpectedly. When starting in safe mode and issuing startx I could get a root session, but trying drakconf resulted in:
Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory.
After a while the system refused to boot altogether.
Only a complete new install of the entire system this time with kernel 3.12.21-2 helped.
- The gui to change security settings is unusable, as msec.py loops. Remedy: Use the console version of msec.
- Another problem was the simple change of the background-image for the LXDE desktop. This is specified
in ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf, however
changing it there has no effect, even worse after logout/login
the old entry persists! The only remedy was to use a different
windowmanager (that does not integrate pcmanfm), change it there, then login to LXDE.
- Rosegarden did not use that much space, so I re-introduced it.
on a floppy:
[root@waldis ~]# cd /usr/lib/grub/i386-mageia
[root@waldis i386-mageia]# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/stick
[root@waldis i386-mageia]# dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 0.0140572 s, 36.4 kB/s
[root@waldis i386-mageia]# dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
248+1 records in
248+1 records out
127040 bytes (127 kB) copied, 0.581206 s, 219 kB/s
This gives you a very basic Grub interface
, You have to
enter all information via the console.
on the botsector of a hdd
required if the boot sector was overwritten after the initial
: In this regard